Hiking is such a fun and exciting activity. It lets you connect with nature and exercise your body. However, before you set out for a hike, see to it that you have everything you need. Every man has a different preference.
Some like to bring kits that contain even the minutest hiking item, whilst others prefer to bring only the basics. If you are the type of guy who does not like to bring a huge and heavy backpack, read on to find out the five things that you have to bring for your hike.
- Hiking shoes. Shoes are probably the most important gear for hiking since you will be walking for a long time. You need a pair of comfortable and well-fitting shoes that match the terrain. To avoid blisters, injury, or achy feet, you can search for the top hiking boots for men to see their features, prices, and designs. Compare the weight, support, and traction offered by these shoes. Check out other features, such as the lacing system.
- Map and compass. If you cannot read a topographic trail map and use a compass, you must not go hiking. It does not matter how many times you have been on a specific trail. You always need to bring a map and a compass. You will never know when you might need to change your route in case of unexpected weather conditions, injuries, wild animals, or closed trails.
- Food and water. Hiking can be exhausting, which is why you need to have sufficient energy. Snacking throughout your hike is a great way to keep you full and energized. You have to bring at least two thousand calories of food with you. Make sure that you also stay hydrated. Ideally, you should drink plenty of water before you hike. You also have to bring water. Be sure to put them in indestructible plastic bottles so they do not get damaged. You can also carry lightweight water filters to collect water from a stream or lake.
- First-aid and repair kits. Even if you are careful, you may still encounter an accident. Hence, it is a good idea to bring first aid supplies such as band-aids, gauze pads, tweezers, and antiseptic wipes on your hike. You also need a knife and other tools for setting up a temporary shelter, preparing food, etc. You do not have to bring a large knife. You can use a pocketknife with a three-inch blade. Just make sure that it is sharp enough.
- Sun protection. Protecting yourself against the harsh ultraviolet rays of the sun is a must. Otherwise, you can be at risk of skin cancer and other diseases. This is why you have to bring a lip balm, a hat, and sunscreen products to prevent sunburn. If you are highly sensitive to the sun, you also have to wear special sun-proof clothes. You should also wear sunglasses to protect your eyes. In the Summer, you have to protect your eyes from too much sunlight. In the Winter, you have to protect them against snow blindness. Aside from sunglasses, you can also wear glacier glasses with side shields to prevent reflective light from reaching your eyes.
You can bring more items on your hike as you see fit, but make sure that these five essentials are with you.
Pay special attention to the clothes and shoes that you wear. Make sure that you are protected from the external elements, but still comfortable and able to move around. It is highly recommended that you research about the top hiking boots for men to find out which shoes are most ideal for you.